Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Resolution: No Resolution?


In recent years, it seems that most people, including myself, have decided to make their New Year's Resolution "No Resolution". Well, since we technically have until January 31st to make up our minds, here are some suggestions from a variety of internet sources that might be worth some consideration (no pressure, of course). Although, I feel that all of these are attainable goals, my personal favorites are #1, #4, #7, and # 9. How 'bout you?

1. Spend more time with family & friends: Appreciate loved ones and spend more time with family and friends this year. Make plans to meet up with friends for an evening of socializing and/or take the family out for some fun.

2. Health and fitness: Regular exercise has been associated with more health benefits than anything else known to man. Studies show that it reduces the risk of some cancers, increases longevity, helps achieve and maintain weight loss, enhances mood, lowers blood pressure, and even improves arthritis. In short, exercise keeps you healthy and makes you look and feel better.

3. Battle the bulge: According to recent studies, over 66% of adult Americans are considered overweight. Setting reasonable goals and staying focused are the two most important factors in sticking with a weight loss program and shedding those extra pounds.

4. Enjoy life more: Given the hectic, stressful lifestyles of millions of Americans, it is no wonder that "enjoying life more" has become a popular resolution in recent years. It's an important step to a happier and healthier you. Do things that are designed to bring balance to your body, mind and soul or just get out and try something new. You could also take up a hobby, go to movies, or head to spa.

5. Get out of debt: If money was a big source of stress in your life last year, join the millions of Americans who have resolved to spend this year getting a handle on their finances. It's a promise that will repay itself many times over during the course of the year.

6. Learn something new: Try to learn something new this year. Consider taking a course to enhance your career or for a career change. Learn a new language or how to fix your computer. Whether you take a course or read a book, you will find that education is one of the easiest and most motivating resolutions to keep.

7. Help others: Volunteerism can take many forms. Whether you choose to spend time helping out at your local library, mentoring a child, or building a house, there are many non-profit volunteer organizations that could really use your help. If your time is really limited, maybe you can at least donate furniture, clothing, and other household items that you no longer need.

8. Get organized: Organization can be a very reasonable goal. Whether you want your home organized enough that you can invite someone over on a whim or your office organized enough that you can find the stapler when you need it, work on reducing the clutter in your life.

9. Learn to say "No": If you find yourself on system overload at work or in your personal life, learning the simple art of saying "no" can be a great stress buster. You are not responsible for the way the recipient processes the word "no", nor can you control their reaction to it. However, proceed with caution in situations that may get you fired or divorced.

10. Fall in love: Love is an emotion, not a resolution. And, we usually can't force ourselves to fall in love on command. Love happens when it happens. However, there are few things you can do to increase your chances. Staying at home and Facebooking or Tweeting 20 times a day about how boring your life is will not get you anywhere. Despite this "techno" age that we live in, get out and meet people, in person and not online.

2 comments:

Arlene said...

Roz, I have one resolution this year, just one! I'm going to stop being so stingy, well cheap. I think I can accomplish this goal and overcome what I consider a fault this year. I don't know how it happened but over the past 25 years I've become very "chinchy," that's a Martin word meaning "penny pinching to the max." I'm pretty sure it started when the twins were in their teen years and the cost of living exploded. The 80's tightened my pursestrings and I haven't been able to loosen them since. I have to make myself share with others. And that's not right. I think I'm generous when it comes to my sons, I give at church, and celebrations but I feel like my heart is bound up. That's my goal, untie my heart!

Keith said...

Well, you know how I feel about resolutions. They are nice, but I don't make them. I've found that for most people..by March, they've forgotten all about their resolutions!



Watch your step!


This household is protected by Ladybug Home Security.







As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord...


Christian Internet Code of Ethics

As a Christian who is active on the internet,
I hold myself to certain standards of conduct:

  • I guard my online relationships.
  • I am careful to visit websites that do not compromise my life in Christ.
  • I take care that my written communications reflect Christ in my life.
  • I guard my time to assure that my time online is kept in proper balance with the rest of my life.
Visit the home page to view a more detailed version:

The Nazarene Network @ NazNet.com





April is World Autism Awareness Month!




On Newsstands Now... Get copies while supplies last!




Now Playing... The Booga Wooga on YouTube!




Proud member of OSP Group on Facebook!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Good Reads!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Pinterest!




Thank you President Obama for 8 great years!




Household Humor, Rules, and Membership











Deviant Art: "Cho & The Ladybug" By Cypherx





Virgo Rules in This Household!