Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Good Doctor


Well, you know what they say about first impressions and Dr. Conrad Murray didn't make a good impression on me from the start. Ever since I learned about his presence at Michael Jackson's home and prompt disappearance on the day of his death, I have been suspicious of the good doctor and I'll tell you why. I have seen veterinarians care for a dying animal and show more sensitivity toward the grieving family of a pet than Michael and the Jackson family received from Dr. Murray. I speak from experience when I say this because I had to go through the gut-wrenching loss of a family pet we had for 16 years in 2004. The care, concern, and sensitivity that we were shown during that process by the veterinary hospital and staff was unbelievable. They even sent us a sympathy card a few days after our beloved "Pebbles" (a Tabby cat) passed away. Did Michael and his family, who are human beings, deserve any less?

On that fateful day of June 25, 2009, my husband and I heard on the radio that Michael had been rushed to the hospital because he had gone into cardiac arrest, just as we were returning home from work together in the car and pulling into the parking space in front of our home. We quickly got out of the car and promptly went into the house to turn on the TV so we could stay informed about his condition. Within approximately 20 minutes of cutting the TV on, we learned that Michael was in a coma and things were not looking good for the "King of Pop". About 10 minutes later, it was announced that he had passed away. We were both shocked, and stunned, to say the least, just like everyone else around the world. As the sequence of events that occurred at Michael's home prior to his death began to unfold later that evening and in the days that followed, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. What? There was a doctor there and he just "upped" and left him there to die? Where did the good doctor go?

Even though it pains me to say it, in hindsight, I feel that Michael probably died in his home, before the 911 call was made and he was taken to the hospital. At the very least, the Michael Jackson that all of us had come know and love was lost to us forever because the response time to cardiac arrest needs to be quick and expedient. Supposedly, there were two key players with Michael in his home at that time... the person who called 911 for help and Dr. Conrad Murray, who was (no doubt) trying to frantically "revive" Michael but, to no avail. Apparently, when it became obvious to the good doctor that Michael wasn't responding, instead of staying with his patient until the ambulance arrived and accompanying Michael to the hospital, his thoughts immediately turned to himself and he decided to abandon Michael, for reasons that I'm sure will manifest themselves to all of us in the days to come. If you put the sequence of events that lead up to Michael's death in a more "normal" context, this is what should have happened:

(1) Michael goes into cardiac arrest at home with his doctor and another person present.

(2) The doctor responds by trying to save his life anyway that he can.

(3) Michael isn't responding so, the other person present calls 911 for emergency assistance.

(4) The doctor stays with Michael and continues to do what he can for him until the ambulance arrives.

(5) The ambulance arrives and paramedics do what they can to save Michael's life.

(6) The decision is made to take Michael to the hospital.

(7) The doctor accompanies Michael to the hospital or, at the very least, agrees to meet the ambulance there.

(8) The paramedics and doctor let the hospital staff know about Michael's condition upon arrival.

(9) The doctors and staff at the hospital take over and do what they can to save Michael's life.

(10) The doctors and staff at the hospital staff are not successful in saving Michael and he is officially pronounced dead.

(11) The hospital doctors, along with Michael's doctor, go to the family together (or appoint a spokesperson) to give them the news.

(12) The hospital doctors, along with Michael's doctor, stay with the family long enough to answer questions and respond to any concerns that they might have surrounding Michael's death.

I know that I'm not a doctor and I don't work in a hospital either. I'm even willing to admit that some of what I outlined above may stem from the fact that I am guilty of watching too many medical shows on TV over the years. But, what I can tell you is that I have received enough care from doctors, in and out of the hospital, to know that Dr. Murray's response and behavior toward Michael while his life was "hanging in the balance" didn't even closely resemble what a doctor would do who is genuinely concerned about his patient's welfare. When you add the good doctor's total lack of sensitivity and regard for Michael's family to the mix, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that something was dreadfully wrong about the way all of this happened.

I know that here in America, everyone is supposed to be presumed "innocent" until they are proven guilty so, I must refrain from outright accusing Dr. Murray of anything. However, it does appear that the police are finally beginning to take a serious look at the good doctor. My only question is, what in the world took them so long? I also think that before this is all over, we are going to learn about many more doctors who did not have Michael's best interest at heart over the last several years of his life and played a prominent role in his ultimate demise. It has always been my understanding that doctors take an oath to save lives and, therefore, should not participate in any activities that would help their patients to destroy their lives. If you know that someone is on a path that will ultimately destroy them, you shouldn't walk down that road with them and be an active participant in their destruction.

If it turns out that Dr. Murray did, indeed, have anything to do with Michael's death, time will surely tell. Recent reports indicate that the good doctor is in extreme financial debt and jumped at the $ 150,000-a-month offer made by Michael's promoter to "keep Michael healthy" during what would have been a series of upcoming concerts in London. Well, it's beginning to look like Dr. Murray did anything "but" keep Michael healthy and even the way he handled his death is questionable. As for any other doctors who assisted Michael over the years in doing things that were completely unethical to their profession, they should and will be held accountable to a much higher authority. Their only saving grace (according to "man's law") is the fact that Michael didn't die under their watch but, they contributed to his ultimate fate just the same. It should also be said that the justice system should not try to make Dr. Conrad Murray "take the fall" for all of the previous doctors that treated Michael. The bottom line is, only one doctor may be responsible for the lethal events that occurred on June 25th and I hope (for his sake) that it is not Dr. Murray. Would you want to be forever remembered as the man who "had a hand" in Michael Jackson's death?

9 comments:

Solomon said...

When they first reported the MJ was dead, and they said they were "looking for" the good doctor that was present when he died, well I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree either and that screamed out some kind of mess was going on with the good doctor.

Welcome to the blogoshpere, I'm sure you'll love blogging as much as the rest of us do.

Lady (Bug) / Grammy said...

Hi Solomon,

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment on the post. I feel like I already know many of you through my husband's blog because I always read his comments and have become familiar with all the "regulars", such as yourself (smile)!

Sunflower said...

This Blog is beautiful Ladybug...and everybit as thought
provoking as your husband's.

Toni said...

So at last we meet the woman behind the man! Welcome to the blogging world.

Angie B. said...

This is a beautiful blog and well written too!

Rich said...

I see writing runs in the family.

That's cool.

Welcome to the table and enjoy the food.

Now regarding your post. Yeah, I think we'll find that the "Good" Doctor wasn't all that great to begin with. A lot of what I've been hearing is quite suspect. I'm sure the authorities and the Jackson Family will get to the bottom of it all.

Lady (Bug) / Grammy said...

@ Sunflower
@ Toni
@ Angie B

Thank you for taking the time to stop by my blog. As I said to Solomon, I have gotten to know many of you through your comments on my husband's blog. Even though I don't expect to be posting as much as "The Maverick...", I hope that the three of you won't be strangers and will pass by this way again sometime.

Arlene said...

Roz,
What writing takes place at your home!! You and Keith are really talented. I enjoy his writing just about every day, then I check in on the BW. Now I've bookmarked your blog as well. Truly, the two of you should think about a book!! E Lynn Harris, and many others, started selling self-published books to friends from the trunk of his car. I'll sell your books! I want to retire anyway and selling GOOD books would not be "work." I know what you have to say is important, thoughtful, and grammatically correct. I don't share others writings because there are often too many errors. Love you guys.

Lady (Bug) / Grammy said...

@ Arlene

Thank you so much for stopping by and the words of encouragement. Check your email for more...

Roz



Watch your step!


This household is protected by Ladybug Home Security.







As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord...


Christian Internet Code of Ethics

As a Christian who is active on the internet,
I hold myself to certain standards of conduct:

  • I guard my online relationships.
  • I am careful to visit websites that do not compromise my life in Christ.
  • I take care that my written communications reflect Christ in my life.
  • I guard my time to assure that my time online is kept in proper balance with the rest of my life.
Visit the home page to view a more detailed version:

The Nazarene Network @ NazNet.com





April is World Autism Awareness Month!




On Newsstands Now... Get copies while supplies last!




Now Playing... The Booga Wooga on YouTube!




Proud member of OSP Group on Facebook!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Good Reads!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Pinterest!




Thank you President Obama for 8 great years!




Household Humor, Rules, and Membership











Deviant Art: "Cho & The Ladybug" By Cypherx





Virgo Rules in This Household!