Friday, August 14, 2009

First Daughters


You know, I have always believed that no matter what kind of disagreement or misunderstanding adults may have with each other, the children of everyone involved are off limits... accept on those rare occasions when the "beef" is about the children. And, in the heat of the moment, you certainly would not carelessly spew out threatening words towards someone's children, even if you had absolutely no intention of following through on the threat. I also know that there are certain "rules" that must be adhered to when you make references to someone's children and, if you plan to do it in a very public way, it might be good to reach some level of understanding with the parents before you do it. All of these things are definite "don'ts" when it comes to other people's children and, in most cases, we would expect people to observe the same "don'ts" regarding our own children.

Now, let's imagine that there are actually people walking around this great country of ours who, for whatever reason, are not aware of all these "dont's" regarding other people's children. And further, let's make this real interesting and imagine that the children who encounter such people are the daughters of the president of the United States, shall we? With that in mind, I am calling your attention to three news stories below which indicate the same. Perhaps, you already know or have heard about these situations. The first story was reported as recently as yesterday, the second story was reported a short time ago, and the third story was reported just days after Barack Obama won the presidency.

If the situations depicted in these stories were our own children, most of us know what we would say or do in response. Some of us might be on our way to jail following the first story. Some of us might feel that the second story was well-meaning and perhaps, somewhat justified. Some of us might even feel that the third story was relatively harmless because, after all, it's just about a couple of dolls, right? But, what I would like for you to consider regarding all of these stories is this... Do you feel that they protect and respect the dignity, privacy, and safety of "The First Daughters" of the United States? If you can answer "Yes" and would have no problem with these situations if it were your own children, all I can say is "okay" and you are entitled to your opinion (but, only if you are being honest). If you can answer "No", I would hope it is because you wouldn't want these situations happening to your own children. And, if you can answer "Yes" because they are someone else's children but, you would answer "No" if it were your own children... please, do me a favor and keep that opinion (even though you are entitled to it) to yourself.



Story #1 (Yesterday's News): There were signs comparing President Barack Obama to a Nazi and showing him with an Adolf Hitler-style mustache, but federal officials believe another sign referencing the president and his family went too far. A man who was holding a sign reading "Death to Obama" on Wednesday outside a town hall meeting on health care reform in Hagerstown, MD has been turned over to the Secret Service. Washington County Sheriff's Captain Peter Lazich said the sign also read, "Death to Michelle and her two stupid kids." Lazich said that U.S. Secret Service agents took the unidentified 51 year old man into custody Wednesday afternoon, after deputies detained him near the entrance to Hagerstown Community College.



Story #2 (Recent News): An ad campaign using The First Daughters' private school lunches to make a point about children's nutrition has upset the White House. The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is pushing Congress to give public school students healthier food options like the vegetarian option offered at Sasha and Malia's Sidwell Friends School. The posters at D.C.'s Union Station show a young girl with the text, "President Obama's daughters get healthy school lunches. Why don't I?" The Obama girls' names and faces don't appear on the poster, but White House officials want them out of the debate altogether, and they want the posters pulled down, saying they violate the privacy rights of The First Daughters. Dr. Neal Bernard of the Physicians Committee said, "I think the president absolutely has to protect his children and that's why you don't see the children's names or pictures at all on here. What we're comparing are the schools. The school that the first family has chosen provides healthy meals and public schools aren't in the position to do that."



Story #3 (Old News): The First Lady had to defend her daughters in the first week of President Obama taking office. Ty Inc., the same company that is widely known for their Beanie Babies collection, released these dolls resembling The First Daughters, Sasha and Malia. Michelle Obama’s press secretary released a statement stating, “We feel it is inappropriate to use young, private citizens for marketing purposes.” The dolls are part of the TyGirlz collection. Although the dolls were named “Sweet Sasha” and “Marvelous Malia,” Ty Inc. insisted that the dolls were not made to be exact replications of the president’s daughters and were not based on the Obama girls at all.

3 comments:

Arlene said...

Roz,
I agree that children should be left out of all politics. It's too dirty a business for the innocent (and I don't include your husband in that group-lol.) I didn't even like it when the comics made fun of the boozing Bush girls and they were in college when their mess started. I am always suspect of people who think anyone or anything is fair game when it comes to public criticism. Maybe the little girl on that poster should be asking what kind of lunches the board of directors at Bank of America, AIG, or Citibank are getting. Great post. Love you!!!

Keith said...

Excellent Post Dear..I am outraged at the cruelty and small mindedness of some people..They will stop at nothing to force theeir agenda..even attacking children...I am outraged at a lot of this.

Shanita Waters said...

Hey Lady! I'm glad to have found your blog. I truly enjoyed it. I'd have to say that if Sasha and Malia were my children and I saw those signs, there would have been repercussions and consequences. How dare someone say such things about children? I understand people dislike the president and even the first lady but children are children and should be off limits.

As for the school lunch poster, I find that one to be distasteful as well but I can understand someone ignorant person was trying to make a point and couldn't think of anything more intelligent to say so they resorted to picking on innocent children. Because they are the president's children, I think they should be removed from the campaign.

As for the dolls, I would have waited until they made millions off of them and then sued them for everything they had. Not because Michelle needs the money but just to teach them a lesson. I would have donated the money to charity or something but I wouldn't have let them get off so easy.

You and Keith have gotten me all riled up with your posts this morning... I need to take a few deep breaths.



Watch your step!


This household is protected by Ladybug Home Security.







As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord...


Christian Internet Code of Ethics

As a Christian who is active on the internet,
I hold myself to certain standards of conduct:

  • I guard my online relationships.
  • I am careful to visit websites that do not compromise my life in Christ.
  • I take care that my written communications reflect Christ in my life.
  • I guard my time to assure that my time online is kept in proper balance with the rest of my life.
Visit the home page to view a more detailed version:

The Nazarene Network @ NazNet.com





April is World Autism Awareness Month!




On Newsstands Now... Get copies while supplies last!




Now Playing... The Booga Wooga on YouTube!




Proud member of OSP Group on Facebook!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Good Reads!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Pinterest!




Thank you President Obama for 8 great years!




Household Humor, Rules, and Membership











Deviant Art: "Cho & The Ladybug" By Cypherx





Virgo Rules in This Household!