Tuesday, March 7, 2023

If I Have Dementia, What You Need to Know



* If I have dementia, I want my family and friends to embrace my reality.

* If I have dementia and I think my spouse is still alive or I think we’re visiting my parents for dinner, let me believe those things. I’ll be much happier for it.

* If I have dementia, don’t argue with me about what is true for me versus what is true for you.

* If I have dementia and I am not sure who you are, do not take it personally. I may not recognize you, but you are still in my heart.

* If I have dementia and can no longer use utensils, do not start feeding me. Instead, switch me to a finger-food diet and see if I can still feed myself.

* If I have dementia and I am anxious or sad, hold my hand and listen. Do not tell me that my feelings are unfounded.

* If I have dementia, I don’t want to be treated like a child. Talk to me like the adult that I am.

* If I have dementia, I still want to enjoy the things that I’ve always enjoyed. Help me find a way to exercise, read, visit with friends, etc.

* If I have dementia, ask me to tell you a story from my past.

* If I have dementia and I become agitated, take the time to figure out what is bothering me.

* If I have dementia, make sure that there are plenty of snacks in the house for me. If I don’t eat, I get angry and may have trouble explaining what I need.

* If I have dementia, don’t talk about me as if I’m not in the room.

* If I have dementia, don’t feel guilty if you cannot care for me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s not your fault and you’ve done your best. Get someone to help you or find a nice new place for me to live.

* If I have dementia and I live in a memory care or nursing home facility, please visit me often.

* If I have dementia, don’t act frustrated if I mix up events, names, or places. Take a deep breath. It’s not my fault.

* If I have dementia, make sure I always have my favorite music playing within earshot.

* If I have dementia and I like to pick up things and carry them around, help me return those things to their original place.

* If I have dementia, don’t exclude me from family gatherings and parties.

* If I have dementia, please know that I still like receiving handshakes and hugs.

* If I have dementia, treat me the way that you would want to be treated.

* If I have dementia, remember that I am still the person you know and love.

If you would take a few minutes to copy, paste, and share this in honor or memory of someone you know, love, and lost who has or had dementia, it would be greatly appreciated. The author of this writing is unknown, but the mission is to help raise awareness, sensitivity, and understanding for them and their caregivers. Thank you.


No comments:



Watch your step!


This household is protected by Ladybug Home Security.







As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord...


Christian Internet Code of Ethics

As a Christian who is active on the internet,
I hold myself to certain standards of conduct:

  • I guard my online relationships.
  • I am careful to visit websites that do not compromise my life in Christ.
  • I take care that my written communications reflect Christ in my life.
  • I guard my time to assure that my time online is kept in proper balance with the rest of my life.
Visit the home page to view a more detailed version:

The Nazarene Network @ NazNet.com





April is World Autism Awareness Month!




On Newsstands Now... Get copies while supplies last!




Now Playing... The Booga Wooga on YouTube!




Proud member of OSP Group on Facebook!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Good Reads!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Pinterest!




Thank you President Obama for 8 great years!




Household Humor, Rules, and Membership











Deviant Art: "Cho & The Ladybug" By Cypherx





Virgo Rules in This Household!