Thursday, November 18, 2010

The "Q-Man" Is Back!


Quincy Jones is back after a 15-year absence with the release of "Soul Bossa Nostra". Guest stars on this latest set are as follows: Akon, David Banner, Mary J. Blige, B.O.B., Tevin Campbell, Rudy Currence, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson, Wyclef Jean, Talib Kweli, John Legend, LL Cool J, LUdacris, Mohombi, Naturally 7, Prince Charlez, Q-Tip, Alfredo Rodriguez, Snoop Dogg, T.I., T-Pain, Robin Thicke, Three 6 Mafia, Tyrese, Usher, Barry White (R.I.P.), BeBe Winans, and Amy Winehouse. I don’t know if I would put this release in the same league as some his past collaboration masterpieces such as "Body Heat" (1974), "Sounds… And Stuff Like That!" (1978), "The Dude" (1981), or "Back On The Block" (1989), but since it doesn’t seem to be on the radar of any radio stations yet, I just want to get the word out about it. The CD was officially released on Tuesday, November 9th and it's also available for download.

Other than a handful of one-offs, producer, composer, and arranger Quincy Jones has been busy outside of the music world, acting as a film producer and a cultural ambassador. Although "Soul Bossa Nostra" is his first "new" release since the mid-90s, it revisits tracks he either composed, recorded, or produced previously with a host of the current day's most popular artists from the R&B, pop, and hip-hop. Given his reputation, the star power here is not surprising, but re-recording classic songs with new singers, or in some cases adding vocals to a track that never had vocals, can be risky. "Soul Boss Nostra" feels like a tribute exercise, assembled more for radio play and to attract the single-track download markets rather than a creative one.

One need only go to the remake of Shuggie Otis' classic "Strawberry Letter 23", which Quincy produced for the Brothers Johnson in 1977. The vocals and production by Akon employ shimmering, slippery hip-hop rhythms, Auto-Tune, and layers of programmed keyboards and backing vocals, without the tune's signature bassline. It's thin and hollow. The sampled hit "Soul Bossa Nova" appears here as a collaboration between Naturally 7 and Ludacris, who has sampled it himself. The new arrangement is streamlined and it lacks the dynamic punch and humor of the hit.

Quincy composed "Ironside" for the '70s television series and he uses the original orchestra and vocal tracks with a rap by Talib Kweli on top. It's better, but still feels disconnected. Why he re-arranged and re-recorded "Tomorrow" with John Legend is a big mystery. This version is void of the warmth of Tevin Campbell's voice of 1989. Campbell is featured on the new CD on a remake of "Secret Garden" and this version keeps White's vocals and adds Campbell's with Robin Thicke, LL Cool J, Usher, and Tyrese. It is lacking in finesse or emotion. "Get The Funk Out My Face" with Snoop Dogg at least retains the Brothers Johnson feel and his rap almost works. "P.Y.T." is redone by T-Pain and Thicke with so much Auto-Tune, it sounds like a cartoon soundtrack. Amy Winehouse's re-make of "It's My Party", which Jones produced for Lesley Gore in 1962, is horrible. Bebe Winans' reading of "Everything Must Change" is easily the set's classiest and most soulful track. It stands out beautifully from the rest.

Given Quincy's legendary stature and reputation for taste, this set feels unnecessary at best. The gimmick of redoing previous recordings with current artists of the day is nothing new for him and that formula has worked well for him many times in the past with great success. The only problem is, all of these songs were originally done to perfection... and when something is perfect, it doesn't really need to be re-done, now does it? One gimmick that is obviously missing from "Soul Bossa Nostra" is the new "breakout star" that everyone has become accustomed to hearing on a "Q" album. In the past, such releases have introduced the world to Patti Austin, James Ingram, Luther Vandross, Tamia, and Tevin Campbell, just to name a few. I'm actually a very loyal "Q" fan and have been for many years, but I must admit that I was a little disappointed with this latest release. Perhaps, it will grow on me... I'll let you know.

No comments:



Watch your step!


This household is protected by Ladybug Home Security.







As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord...


Christian Internet Code of Ethics

As a Christian who is active on the internet,
I hold myself to certain standards of conduct:

  • I guard my online relationships.
  • I am careful to visit websites that do not compromise my life in Christ.
  • I take care that my written communications reflect Christ in my life.
  • I guard my time to assure that my time online is kept in proper balance with the rest of my life.
Visit the home page to view a more detailed version:

The Nazarene Network @ NazNet.com





April is World Autism Awareness Month!




On Newsstands Now... Get copies while supplies last!




Now Playing... The Booga Wooga on YouTube!




Proud member of OSP Group on Facebook!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Good Reads!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Pinterest!




Thank you President Obama for 8 great years!




Household Humor, Rules, and Membership











Deviant Art: "Cho & The Ladybug" By Cypherx





Virgo Rules in This Household!