Thursday, September 30, 2010

G.I.P. (Grieve In Peace)


The owner of Prospect Hill Cemetery said a 92 year old man was shaken up yesterday after being robbed at gunpoint while visiting his wife's gravesite. Northern York County Regional Police responded about 12 noon to the cemetery in the 700 block of North George Street in Manchester Township.

The elderly man told police he heard a vehicle approaching. He looked up a few minutes later to observe a white male in his late 20s to early 30s walking toward him. The man pulled a black revolver from his waistband and pointed it in the direction of the victim. He demanded the victim's wallet, but when the victim took too long to remove it, the robber grabbed the victim's pants and tore the pocket that held the wallet, police said.

The man took the wallet and left the scene in a small, dark car that was last seen traveling through the cemetery toward the Pennsylvania Avenue exit. Police did not identify the victim or provide a detailed description of the robber or vehicle.

Jack Sommer, owner of Prospect Hill Cemetery, said that staff members reported the incident to Northern Regional after the victim went to the cemetery office. "This is so unfortunate... just a bolt out of the blue," Sommer said. He spoke with the victim shortly after the robbery and said later yesterday afternoon, the elderly man was very shaken by the incident.

"The man is a regular visitor here, and we don't want the cost of this to be that he's uncomfortable to visit his wife's grave," Sommer said. He was surprised the robbery happened, since most of the staff are on the grounds preparing for Saturday's Court of Valor Memorial ceremony.

In response to the robbery, the cemetery is offering one of their 25 staff members to accompany visitors to graves if they feel uncomfortable going alone, Sommer said. "Our mission is about remembrance and we're not going to let someone ruin that experience for our visitors", he said.

I know everyone is struggling financially right now, but OMG! A person can't even grieve in peace!

No comments:



Watch your step!


This household is protected by Ladybug Home Security.







As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord...


Christian Internet Code of Ethics

As a Christian who is active on the internet,
I hold myself to certain standards of conduct:

  • I guard my online relationships.
  • I am careful to visit websites that do not compromise my life in Christ.
  • I take care that my written communications reflect Christ in my life.
  • I guard my time to assure that my time online is kept in proper balance with the rest of my life.
Visit the home page to view a more detailed version:

The Nazarene Network @ NazNet.com





April is World Autism Awareness Month!




On Newsstands Now... Get copies while supplies last!




Now Playing... The Booga Wooga on YouTube!




Proud member of OSP Group on Facebook!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Good Reads!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Pinterest!




Thank you President Obama for 8 great years!




Household Humor, Rules, and Membership











Deviant Art: "Cho & The Ladybug" By Cypherx





Virgo Rules in This Household!