Tuesday, March 15, 2022

🎶 Where Are They Now Challenge



Born on December 8, 1939 in Sunflower, MS, Jerry Butler, Jr. is an American soul singer-songwriter, producer, musician, and retired politician. 

Butler was the original lead singer of the R&B vocal group The Impressions, and the group was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1991. After leaving the group in 1960, he achieved over 55 Billboard Pop and R&B Chart hits as a solo artist, so he was inducted into the National Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame in 2015. Since his 1991 induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as a member of The Impressions, music critics and writers have stated that he also deserves a second induction as a solo artist, based upon his successful career as a recording artist and songwriter after leaving the group.

Influenced by the civil rights movement, Butler entered politics in the mid-1980s as a campaign supporter of Chicago's first African American Mayor, Harold Washington. He, himself, was first elected to public office in 1985 as the Cook County Commissioner in IL, where he served three four-year terms. While he served on the 17-member county board, he chaired the Health & Hospitals Committee and served as Vice Chair of the Construction Committee. In 1993, at the age of 55, Butler received a Master's Degree in Public Administration from Governor's State College in University Park, IL.

In 1959, Butler married Annette, who was one of his backup singers at the time. They lived in Chicago, where they raised twin sons and remained together until her death in 2019. He is 82 years old now and still resides in Chicago. The album cover featured in this post is one of his solo projects after leaving The Impressions. It was released in 1968 on Mercury Records. He was given the nickname "The Ice Man" by legendary Philly DJ Georgie Woods, may he rest in peace. This album includes a few R&B hits that I loved listening to when I was growing up, including my personal favorite "Never Gonna Give You Up" (click on image).

Where Are They Now Challenge: Pick an artist from yesteryear that you like, write an update about them, and link to it. Use reputable sources to get your details, and give them a shout out while they are still here to appreciate it!

No comments:



Watch your step!


This household is protected by Ladybug Home Security.







As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord...


Christian Internet Code of Ethics

As a Christian who is active on the internet,
I hold myself to certain standards of conduct:

  • I guard my online relationships.
  • I am careful to visit websites that do not compromise my life in Christ.
  • I take care that my written communications reflect Christ in my life.
  • I guard my time to assure that my time online is kept in proper balance with the rest of my life.
Visit the home page to view a more detailed version:

The Nazarene Network @ NazNet.com





April is World Autism Awareness Month!




On Newsstands Now... Get copies while supplies last!




Now Playing... The Booga Wooga on YouTube!




Proud member of OSP Group on Facebook!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Good Reads!




Follow The Lady (Bug) on Pinterest!




Thank you President Obama for 8 great years!




Household Humor, Rules, and Membership











Deviant Art: "Cho & The Ladybug" By Cypherx





Virgo Rules in This Household!